Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chapter 50: Those whose work takes them away from the monastery


"Those whose work takes them  some distance from the monastery so that they cannot manage to get to the oratory at the right times of prayer must kneel with profound reverence for the Lord and perform the work of God at their place of work. (From para. 1 of Ch. 50 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can understand this passage in terms of good instruction when I must meditate in an unaccustomed place. But I also find it helpful when it's hard for me to meditate at all. First, it resonates with John Main's instruction to say the mantra whether or not I feel like it. Secondly, it sensitizes me to the divine energy that is constantly sustaining me, regardless of any conditions.

3 comments:

  1. Laurence Freeman once asked John Main why he became a monk. Fr. John’s said, “I became a monk because I wanted to be free”. What a counterintuitive response that seemed to me when I first heard it. Then I was reminded of a, at the time, hurtful comment to me by a close relative in my younger days: “We always enjoy your visits, Wally, but you always seem to have some place more important to go.” Ouch! How much of a slave to my “doings”, to my “people-pleasing” I can be and be totally unaware of it! How arrogantly self-important I can make myself in my “busyness”, my business, my work addictions, my “doings”. The paradoxical path to freedom and becoming a human being, Abba, is the stillness and simplicity of the mantra and meditation, making you and my relationship to you, my priority, no matter where I am or how “busy” I may feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my first few months into meditation I was pissed off when something came in the way of my mediation schedule. I also experienced the same when I committed to practice the divine office. But my spiritual director reminded me that my meditation and divine office are supposed to edify my soul, thus, improved my relation with people at home and at work. They are not in any way designed to take me away from the work God called me to do. So now, whenever circumstances do not allow me to meditate or say my divine office as scheduled, I will simply stop whatever I am doing and silently offer a short prayer to God. Usually, I say the "Glory be."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded that wherever I am and no matter who I am with that profound reverence is an appropriate way of being.

    ReplyDelete