Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Chapter 51: Those on local errands or work


Any who are sent on an errand which will allow them to return to the monastery on the same day must not eat outside, in spite of pressing invitations whatever their source, unless the superior has approved this. (From Ch. 51 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Keeping custody of my senses -- this is the phrase that arises spontaneously for me. Indulging in the constant, "pressing invitations" of electronic media and the internet. Wanting to stay centered and attentive to the inner silence.

2 comments:

  1. Benedict reminds me how easily I can “excommunicate” myself from those who love me. The Rule bids me to “eat at home” under pain of excommunication. Even in retirement I can too readily get into chores or activities like the internet or watching sports and neglect to “eat at home”. That is, I begin to take for granted and neglect my wife of 40 years. Even though we live together, modern life and electronics can promote lack of communication with those I love and who love me, I “excommunicate” myself and my loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... must not eat outside". I found this part of the Rule difficult to understand. But maybe, the Lord wants me to be focused on going back home, going inside, sitting at the cell of my heart and be nourished by the spiritual food from Christ. I have to be discriminating of the worldly food that could hurt my spirit.

    ReplyDelete