Monday, April 7, 2014

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 1-2)


The community must not be too sensitive about the color and quality of this clothing; they should be content with what is available in the locality at a reasonable cost. (From para. 1 of  Ch. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Well, at least St. Benedict permits me to be a little sensitive about the color and quality of my clothing. But more importantly, I ask myself, when I catch sight of myself, however dressed, am I able to wink back at the divine spark loving me?

2 comments:

  1. I do not mind if my clothes are expensive or not so long as it is or it has a shade of my favorite color. I remember how in my clildishness I have to say no to the invitation of one religious order to become their oblate because I do not like the color of their uniform. I also have this inordinate attachment to footwear. St. Benedict now reminds me to be detached to things that are of little value to my spiritual jojurney. This is an invitation for me to go back to simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In years past I enjoyed backpacking in the High Sierras. Back country/wilderness exploring with what I needed to survive on my back for an extended period, quickly taught me the difference between wants and needs. The Rule graphically reminds me of how little I really need materially to make it through the wilderness of life. You don’t give me what I want, Abba, but you always give me, your child, what I need. Help me to stay simple, your little one, one more joy-full day.

    ReplyDelete