Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 3-4)


In order to root out completely this vice of hoarding personal possessions, the superior must provide all members of the community with whatever they really need, that is: cowl, tunic, sandals, shoes belt, knife, stylus, needle, handkerchief ad writing tablets. (From para. 3 of Ch. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I ask myself what do I really need -- or can I use or do -- to live a life that keeps me focussed on what is between me and God, and not on distractions.

2 comments:

  1. This is an invitation for me to really simplify my life. Living a clattered life is a recipe for more distractions. Thus, to be more focused is to be simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a vast gap exists between my needs and my wants. You, Abba, always give me what I need though, like any good parent, not always what I want. My connection with you in meditation in the now, in the present moment, is teaching me how to want what I have, and leave my other wants up to you and your love and mercy. And, when I do this, like the lilies of the field and the birds of the air, you clothe me far better than Solomon and provide for me far better than my wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete