Thursday, April 10, 2014

Chapter 57: Members of the community with creative gifts


If there are any in the community with creative gifts, they should use them in their workshops with proper humility, provided that they have the permission of the superior. (From para. 1 of Ch. 57 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997).

In my deepening wonder and awe of the creative process, I realize that humility is exactly the key. Like entering into the prayer of Christ, creativity is something I enter into, or relate to, or am. The ego only holds me back.

2 comments:

  1. Practicing the craft in humility. The key word that struck me here is humility. If I am not careful, what started to be a creative gift from God can easily make me proud and concieted. So to keep me grounded I should always remember that I have nothing but the grace from God. Thus, the glory must always be His.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite term for addressing my Creator is simply that: My Creator. You invite me to Co-Create with you, My Creator. You are an Artist, the Great Artist. What a gift of love you give me inviting me to make art with you, like these few words I put together with you.

    ReplyDelete