Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Chapter 61: Monastic pilgrims from far away (paragraphs 1-2)


If, on the other hand, such a pilgrim monk or nun has been revealed as a guest to be overbearing and full of bad habits then not only should all further association with the community be refused but such a guest should quite openly be requested to depart for fear that such a wretched example might lead others to go astray. (From para. 2 of Ch. 61 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Even in personal situations of necessary separation, I still ask for the grace to discern why such persons were sent to me by the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Benedict’s rule about “Pilgrim” monks here prefigures contemporary psychological studies of life span development: if we live long enough most of us have to pass through periodic dramatic life changes. There is some truth, in fact, to the “seven year itch”. Daniel Levinson’s and others’ studies confirm that, just like trees grow rings, every seven to ten years we confront “grow or die” moments. We must either “grow or go”. When I can embrace the process, I can grow a new "ring". This strengthens me and enhances my usefulness for others. Becoming an Oblate, Abba, may it be for me one of those growth moments, growth in conscious closeness to you and my fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes associating the adjectives 'good' and 'bad' to people I met seems instinctive. This part of the Rule invites me that in dealing with co-pilgrim in this journey I don't need to use my mind. I should rather use my heart to be discerning.

    ReplyDelete