Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chapter 62: The priests of the monastery


When ordained a monk must be careful to avoid a spirit of self-importance or pride and he must avoid taking on himself any duties to which the abbot has not assigned him. (From para.1 of Ch. 62 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

The shadow side of having spiritual gifts is my taking pride in them and manufacturing a sense of feeling special. The beauty of the gifts comes in using them as God leads me.

2 comments:

  1. Officiousness or clericalism comes in many forms. So easy it is for me to become puffed up with arrogance with any title I may have, in my family or at work or even at prayer, the Work of God. Laying aside all thoughts and images in the silence and stillness and simplicity of the mantra can nourish the humility I need to become truly of service, to become that little one you so love, Abba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very easy to confuse self-confidence with pride. The only way where I can be humble without suppressing the need to share God's gift to me, is to put in mind and heart that in all things God be glorified. For glory does not belong to anyone but Him.

    ReplyDelete