Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chapter 33: Personal possessions in the monastery


Those in monastic vows should not claim any property as their own exclusive possession -- absolutely nothing at all, not even books and writing materials. After all they cannot count even their bodies and wills as their own consecrated as they are, to the Lord. (From Ch. 33 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I live in an embarrassment of riches and of accumulated stuff. But my meditation practice consecrates me to the Lord. Selfless attention can grant me the grace of detachment, of generosity, of liberty of spirit and the holy use of things.

1 comment:

  1. "...No one presumes common ownership of anything." It is the presumption that is separating, frightening and debilitating. It lies underneath decisions, advice and the need to control. And when that presumption is not born out or proven there is a tendency for frustration and impatience and even anger with anything or any one. I pray for honest humility and the realization that every thing and every human being belongs to you, O heavenly Father,as you teach me through my daily meditations and the silence of you which enfolds me. In this way, I can allow you to lead me in respecting and reverencing all of creation which is full of the secrets and wonders of your love. Secrets and wonder allow for surprise. I want to be able to be surprised and that means presumptions need to be released and become non-existent. There is no room for them.

    ReplyDelete