Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chapter 34: Fair provision for the needs of all


This principle from Scripture should be established in the monastery, namely that distribution was made to each in accordance with their needs. This, however, should not be taken to mean that favouritism of individuals can be tolerated; far from it. It should simply be a way of showing proper consideration for needs arising from individual weakness. (From Ch. 34 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

There it is again -- weakness. When I gather my energies around recognizing and respecting the weaknesses of others, I can honestly acknowledge my own weaknesses as well. Into this relationship Christ comes, provisions are handled fairly, and the relationship becomes transformative.

1 comment:

  1. “Yet that is precisely the enduring influence and personal relevance of the Rule - that it connects our daily life and problems to the big picture - to the real presence of Christ that is in every encounter and every moment because it is in our deepest self.
    “Life can sometimes seem annoyingly to fall short of our expectations.” (Fr. Laurence, Feast Day note) My Chronic pain over the past four weeks since my auto accident is making my life fall “annoyingly short” of my expectations today, Thank you, Abba, for the Rule and the community that help keep me awake and remind me of your big picture.

    ReplyDelete