Saturday, July 19, 2014

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 1-3)


When the time comes for one of the divine offices to begin, as soon as the signal is heard, everyone must set aside whatever they may have in hand and hurry as fast as possible to the oratory, but of course they should do so in a dignified way which avoids giving rise to any boisterous behaviour. The essential point is that nothing should be accounted more important than the work of God. (Para. 1 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Soundlessly and selflessly I turn to God. The more I do so, the more rediscover peace.

1 comment:

  1. Boisterous or not, you invite me to come to you. You welcome me and draw me to you. How wonderful! You have made me your little one, as undignified as I can be sometimes.

    ReplyDelete