Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chapter 50: Those whose work takes them away from the monastery


"Those whose work takes them some distance from the monastery so that they cannot manage to get to the oratory at the right times of prayer must kneel with profound reverence for the Lord and perform the work of God at their place of work. (From para. 1 of Ch. 50 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can understand this passage in terms of good instruction when I must meditate in an unaccustomed place. But I also find it helpful when it's hard for me to meditate at all. First, it resonates with John Main's instruction to say the mantra whether or not I feel like it. Secondly, it sensitizes me to the divine energy that is constantly sustaining me, regardless of any conditions.

1 comment:

  1. When visiting family, there is difficulty in keeping to regular times of prayer and meditation. Remembering the mantra and repeating it silently in my heart keeps me present. Meditation is that awareness of the Divine Presence and being present to It, as much as possible amidst the mental distractions that also enter into that awareness. Visiting family then I compare to my meditation practice. I try to be present to each and every member with the mantra silently repeating. Meditation at these times,becomes an awareness of the Divine Presence in the present moment, stabilizing, and energizing me in the midst of loving confusion and the noisiness of families with children and adolescents.

    ReplyDelete