Monday, August 11, 2014

Chapter 61: Monastic pilgrims from far away (paragraphs 2-3)


But if no such negative signs are apparent it may be right to go further and not wait for a request to be accepted into the community. It may even be right to persuade such a one to stay so that others may benefit and learn from such example. (From paragraph 2 of Ch. 61 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry,OSB.)

My life is silently clamoring to expand into more and more relationships, in order to find the best in others.

2 comments:

  1. “Community does not just happen. It is built, step by step, by the courage of individuals leaving self behind to love those with whom they live.” (John Main, “Monastery Without Walls”, Ch. 10 “Gifts of Obedience”). I am, therefore, also a “Pilgrim from Far Away”, an individual alienated and confined by the “bondage of self”, locked into my hyperactive, ego-centered, “monkey mind”. The silence, stillness and simplicity of meditation and the mantra liberate me and introduce me to you, Abba, living in everyone I meet and to the joyful freedom that passes all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To "benefit and learn from such example" that another person gives is very much an influence in my life and I would hope to be the same for others. And what in particular would influence me? Another's joy and expansiveness that includes everyone with whom they come in contact. The taste of a freedom is there that is loving and that comes from a "conversion" "arising when we turn from ourselves" to others in an expansion of spirit.(J. Main, The Word Made Flesh)

    ReplyDelete