Saturday, August 16, 2014

Chapter 64: The election of an abbot or abbess (paragraphs 3-4)

They must be so well-grounded in the law of God so that they may have the resources to bring forth what is new and what is old in their teaching. (From para. 3 of Ch. 64 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Bringing forth "what is new and what is old in their teaching" expresses, for me, my own experience of being personally and vitally engaged with the ancient wisdom tradition embodied in Benedict's Rule.

1 comment:

  1. “Like a lover, like a gardener, God patiently awaits our response, our growth.” (John Main, “Monastery Without Walls”, Kindle loc 2431). This applies to my “Abbot functions”, as spouse, parent, grandparent, neighbor, citizen, all the places where I exercise more or less authority, the author-ity of love; that is, wherever God places me today in this, His garden.

    ReplyDelete