Sunday, August 17, 2014

Chapter 65: The prior or prioress of the monastery (paragraph 1)


It has often happened that unfortunate conflicts have arisen in monasteries as a result of the appointment of a prior or prioress as second in authority to the superior. There have been instances when some of these officials have conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that they also are superiors and for that reason have assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that they encourage scandalous divisions in the community. (From para. 1 of Ch. 65 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

There have been instances when my ego has conceived out of an evil spirit of self-importance that it is also a superior and for that reason has assumed the powers of a tyrant, so that it encourages scandalous divisions in my heart. The way to integrity is the way of the mantra.

2 comments:

  1. "Envy, quarrels, slander, rivalry, factions, and disorders..." point to a state of mind where pride and arrogance rule and humility and peace have been displaced. Benedict is showing me what happens when I do not take humility seriously as described in various ways in chapter 7. It is in the silence of meditation and prayer that over and over again I find not illusions of self-grandeur or self-righteousness
    but I come to face the realities of myself as filtered through the sieve of the constant flow of the mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “It has often happened that unfortunate conflicts have arisen in monasteries . . . ”. These conflicts too often also happen in my monastery without walls, in my home, in my marriage and my family. The healing discipline of twice-daily meditation helps me past these challenging spots. The silence and stillness connect me and reconnect me to you, Abba, and I come once more to rest.

    ReplyDelete