Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chapter 66: The porter or portress of the monastery


At the entrance to the monastery there should be a wise senior who is too mature in stability to think of wandering about and who can deal with enquiries and give whatever help is required. (From para. 1 of Ch. 66 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

That wise, mature and stable senior at the door of my heart is the mantra. I wander far more than is good for me, especially when circumstances are disorienting and my practice flounders. But that good old monk is always at the door, reminding me how to live.

1 comment:

  1. I talked with the Prioress of a monastery nearby recently. Humble, joyful and welcoming she is and also a visible reminder for me of the love of God in all circumstances. Sometimes I need that verbal and physical encouragement. And because I need it, it is important for me to pass the same to others.

    ReplyDelete