Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Chapter 67: Those who are sent on a journey


Those who are sent on a journey should commend themselves to the prayers of all the community as well as of the superior and, at the last prayer of the work of God in the oratory, there should always be a memento of all who may be absent. (From Ch. 67 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

How much -- really mindless -- coming and going do I do, day in and day out? May my awareness expand to include all the little journeys I make, on behalf of myself or others, in and out the door, up and down the steps, in and out of the car. May all these little journeys become part of the flow of continuous prayer that keeps me living in a mutual gaze with God.

1 comment:

  1. “I love because I love, I love that I may love.” (St. Bernard, Abbot, from the Office of Readings today.) Sometimes the Rule’s details, like today, I find annoying. They seem so “nitpicking”. I forget that the Rule, like my twice-daily meditation, is ultimately all about love and loving. Like doing the dishes and other “small acts of kindness” for my spouse and family, it’s all about connecting with you, Abba, Love Itself. Once more, forgive thou my unbelief. Heal my rebellious heart.

    ReplyDelete