Friday, August 22, 2014

Chapter 69: No one should act as advocate for another


Great care must be taken to avoid any tendency for one of the community to take the side of and try to protect another, even though they may be closely related through ties of blood. (From Ch. 69 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Protect another from what? I believe in standing up for those I love, for those in need. But perhaps I need to spare them my overprotection, when it would hinder their own growth in self-sufficiency, and their own growth in the Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. I oftentimes find myself in trouble by being a staunch advocate of something that I think is good. And i guess, as it is i am still in 'close kinship' with my ideas. This part of the rule reminds me that nothing is good unless it comes from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The “great care” Benedict prescribes here, to me, is synonymous with what we today might call “tough” love—learning how to walk that fine line between compulsively “helicoptering” and irresponsibly abandoning those I love.

    ReplyDelete