Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Chapter 73: This Rule is only a beginning


Whoever you may be, then, in your eagerness to reach your Father's home in heaven, be faithful with Christ's help to this small Rule which is only a beginning. (From para. 1 of Ch. 73 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

This small Rule helps me to see what obscures the presence of God for me. And, this small Rule has helped me to address those blocks and say, "What matters is not what's between me and that problem anymore. What matters is what's between me and God."

2 comments:

  1. The rule gives me the basic outline. I'll spend the rest of my life filling in the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Jesus does not firstly call us to believe but to be. That is faith, the courageous commitment to be ourselves.” (John Main, “Monastery Without Walls”, Ch. 16, Kindle loc 2931.) That is the road of faith this “little rule for beginners” invites me to trudge again every day—the journey to being Wally, to my reality, to you, Abba, here within me, in this moment.

    ReplyDelete