Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chapter 4: Guidelines for Christian and monastic good practice (paragraphs 9-13)


The workshop in which we are called to work along these lines with steady perseverance is the enclosure of the monastery and stability in community life. (From para. 13 of Ch. 4 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Monastic enclosure and stability, fitted to my life as a contemplative householder, take on a quality that I identify as discipline.  I ask myself: What does the discipline of Christian meditation teach me? About the priority of prayer before the demands of my ego? About knowing what my practice is, even if I miss it. About learning to pray continuously? About the necessity of growing through relationship? About resolving upsets in a spirit mutual respect? About service?

1 comment:

  1. Desiring to be a 'monk in the marketplace,' I have a very wide 'workshop' thus, my deepest need for the stability of a community.

    ReplyDelete