Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Chapter 12: The celebration of solemn Lauds


Then come the hundred and seventeenth psalm and the sixty second followed by the Benedicite and Laudate psalms, a reading from the book of the Apocalypse recited by heart, the responsory, an Ambrosian hymn, a versicle, the Benedictus, litany and conclusion. (From Ch. 12 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,1997.)

Perhaps all of these prayers, and not just the reading from Apocalypse, were once memorized -- held -- in the mind and heart. For me, lectio is a form, not of memorization, but of holding the Word in my heart. In perhaps a kindred way, the mantra is held in my heart, holds my heart in reality.

2 comments:

  1. What I have been reflecting on as of late, is do I leave the written words of the Psalms and prayers behind in the book and or do I take them with me? Do the praises to God remain in the book or do they become a part of me ? Is my life giving praise and thanks to God or do I just give lip-service when I pray the Divine Office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in our home on the Pacific coast of Ecuador, I have the privilege of watching pelicans and blue-footed boobies’ constant repetition of their fishing patterns. They fly in squadrons, gliding over the waves, just beyond the breakers. Suddenly they all pause and gain altitude as a group. Then, as if choreographed, all plunge beak-first into the sea for their breakfasts. Repetition feeds them. Just so, my repetition of twice-daily meditation with the mantra as well as lectio, including the Office, nourishes both my spirit and my sense of community with my brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete