Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Chapter 17: The number of psalms to be sung at the hours


We have already set out the order of the psalms for Vigils and for Lauds. Now let us look at the order of the psalms for the rest of the Hours. (From para. 1 of Ch. 17 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict's instructions about ordering the psalms for the hours, like the disciplined repetition of the mantra, teach me that God is always with me -- that Jesus is praying in me, that I am called to join him in the river of constant praise to the Father.

1 comment:

  1. The great care and detail with which St. Benedict lays out the Hours of the Office reminds me to treat my own times of meditation with the same reverence. Because of the many things on my daily to-do list, I often feel tempted to "rush through" my meditation. Benedict reminds me that this is the most important part of the day, the one thing necessary, and that I must care for my meditation period as well as he cares for the Hours.

    ReplyDelete