Monday, October 27, 2014

Chapter 20: The ideal of true reverence in prayer


We must really be quite clear that our prayer will be heard, not because of the eloquence and length of all we have to say, but because of the heartfelt repentance and openness of our hearts to the Lord whom we approach. (From Ch. 20 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

And so does meditation teach me to be humble and open. But what I am also learning is the power of intercessory prayer -- of saying clearly and intentionally, to those I trust, how I need to be held in prayer. In this way I discover another communal aspect of prayer -- the prayer of sharing each other's burdens.

2 comments:

  1. Christ told us that the Father knows what we need before we ask. I believe that with all my heart. The other part is a little more difficult for me. The difficult part is the part of faith, and trust--that for which I am praying will be answered in the way I think it should be answered. There are so many examples that Christ gives us during His life where prayers are answered. It is the "Into your hands, I commend my spirit" at the end of His life that is hard for me. What is the best and what is the greater good for not only myself but also for others does not always translate into my idea of what is good. That is where hearfelt repentance and openness of heart come in-letting go of ego desires and opening to the infinite and transcendent love of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Main calls it “the prayer that Jesus approved”, that of the publican in the back of the temple with his mantra: “Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner”. He contrasted this humble prayer with that of the Pharisee who prayed “like the heathen”, using much eloquence and many words. The “one word” of the mantra helps me to stay “right-sized”, your little one, Abba, your child, just for today.

    ReplyDelete