Friday, October 3, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 12)


The fifth step of humility is that we should not cover up but humbly confess to our superior or spiritual guide whatever evil thoughts come into our minds and the evil deeds we have done in secret. (From para. 12 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

There is the secret part of my being which is the mysterious union of my uniqueness with God. But I pray that I may present to the world a transparent face, a transparent heart, because I am strong in my secret.

1 comment:

  1. Reading St. Augustine’s “Confessons” was a revelation to me. Augustine did not write it as a navel-gazing, ego-centric exercise as our modern psychoanalytically-influenced autobiographies tend to do. He wrote it as a prayer to you, Abba. It is one long prayer, a model for what I can hope that my life and self-disclosures may become.

    ReplyDelete