Saturday, October 4, 2014

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 13)  


The sixth step of humility for monks or nuns is to accept without complaint really wretched and inadequate conditions so that when faced with a task of any kind they would think of themselves as poor workers not worthy of consideration and repeat to God the verse of the psalm: I am of no account and lack understanding, no better than a beast in your sight. Yet I am always in your presence. (Para. 13 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I think St. Benedict writes a long and harsh passage to describe what is actually a liberating situation: detachment and selfless service -- a poverty made grand by the presence of God.

1 comment:

  1. I came into the world naked. I leave it naked. All I “have” is only “mine” on loan for a few years. That includes this moment of life and each and every breath. Thank you, Abba, for the gift of meditation and the mantra that help me stay conscious of that and of you.

    ReplyDelete