Thursday, November 6, 2014

Chapter 29: The readmission of any who leave the monastery


Anyone who is guilty of serious wrong by the personal decision to leave the monastery but then asks to be received back again must first of all promise full reparation for leaving the monastery. (From Ch. 29 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I wonder what "full reparation" in this situation would be -- certainly not something material or financial. Maybe the kind of reparation of which Benedict speaks involves growth in self-knowledge, and transformation of consciousness in the one who left. That spiritual development could help heal the wounds to the community made by the trauma of disobedience and departure. 

2 comments:

  1. After leaving, if there is a "wish to return", they must first promise to make full amends for leaving. I cannot help but think about the prodigal son who had all the wrong reasons(but right worldly reasons, like hunger and desire for comfort) for wanting to return. I am a continuous "returner" wanting comfort and the satisfaction of my hunger for love after turning in the wrong directions away from the will of God. It is only when I accept my frailty and failure that I can return to the love of God like the prodigal child that I am. With that self-acceptance, there are no more pretenses and I can embrace with comfort and love others in their frailties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very appropriate verse for my return to reading and reflecting on the Rule. I pray for the grace to be more faithful :-)

    ReplyDelete