Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chapter 37: Care for the elderly and young


Human nature itself is drawn to tender concern for those in the two extremes of age and youth, but the authority of the Rule should reinforce this natural instinct. (From Ch. 37 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

It seems to me that the "natural instinct" of which St. Benedict speaks is not so apparent todayMay I become ever more sensitive to the special gifts of the elderly and the young, and reflect them back to them.

2 comments:

  1. Acceptance on my part of this phase of life, although I do not think that I have reached it, the "elderly" part, is not as easy as one might think. Being on the receiving part of "kindly consideration" and compassion, helps me to see Christ in a different way both as the recipient and the giver. There is humility in all of this which is being thrust on me in a totally different light. Love is at the heart of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “ . . . the old and the children . . . the authority of the Rule should also provide for them.” This reminds me that “authority” means “to author”. Both words come from the same Latin root, “augere” and this means “to make to grow or increase.” That is what authority, including the authority of the Rule is all about: making me grow and increase as any seedling does under a good gardener’s care. Abba, you are my Good Gardener and I will trust how you care for me, today.

    ReplyDelete