Thursday, November 20, 2014

Chapter 41: The times for community meals


The principle is that the superior should manage everything so prudently that the saving work of grace may be accomplished in the community and whatever duties the community undertakes they may be carried out without murmuring. (From para. 1 of Ch. 40 of St. Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict feeds me with more than a meal: He gives meaning and substance to my days, urging me to co-create with God in blessing the world with opportunities for grace.

2 comments:

  1. In the last paragraph of this chapter, Benedict refers to light, from a "lamp" and from "daylight" placing the times of Vespers and the last meal of the day in "daylight" so that a "lamp" will not be needed. A lamp is artificial light. Daylight has as its source the sun. Vespers is the one of the last prayer times of the evening. It is in prayer, and meditation that I come before the true source of light.
    I do not want to be artificial but a real reflection of the light within that comes from Christ. To reflect that light and not shade it, is to be like the abbot in this chapter, caring, balanced, and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The responsibility to 'manage everything prudently' is indeed expected of those people entrusted with 'more.'. More people to guide. More resources to manage. Because in the economy of God's kingdom, accomplishment is not the yardstick but LOVE. For example if I will only be focused on the deliverables at work, I might not be able to notice the need of my fellow workers which may result to 'murmuring' or gossip. But if I become more gentle and compassionate, I will at the same time reap the immeasurable fruits of joy and peace :-)

    ReplyDelete