Friday, November 21, 2014

Chapter 42: The great silence after Compline


Silence should be sought at all times by monks and nuns and this is especially important for them at night time. (From para. 1 of Ch. 42 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

"Lead us into that mysterious silence where Your love is revealed to all who call." These words of the opening prayer call me to attention and call me to heart-centeredness. The practice of meditation moves me gradually toward experiencing life from the silent place in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I guess meditation is starting to make less talkative and more attentive. I also noticed the importance of literally practicing this advice particularly the observance of silence at night time. Normally, I still work or check emails or open the facebook after dinner. But in those instances where I decided to make my evening 'silent' I not only have a restful body but more so a peaceful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benedict is ever practical in his advice as is evident in this chapter. This great silence gives me time to reflect on my day at its end and to be with the Lord without interruption.Through silence of eyes, and ears and mouth and cessation of useless activity rest and peace for body and soul are made available so that sleep can come without anxiety. This "Great Silence" is perhaps a preparation for the final resting in peace which Benedict asks us to be always mindful of.

    ReplyDelete