Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chapter 45: Mistakes in the oratory


Anyone who makes a mistake in a psalm, responsory, antiphon or reading must have the humility to make immediate reparation there before all the community in the oratory. A failure to do that so clearly shows lack of the humility to put right a fault which was due to carelessness that it must incur a more severe punishment. (From Ch. 45 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm sorry for my failures of inattention, for my failures of humility and love. Thank God I'm not expected to be perfect, but to be open to being full of faith.

2 comments:

  1. I make mistakes. I have even been encouraged to go ahead and make “wonderful, glorious, mistakes” as a path to wisdom and humility. But, at the same time, I must always remember that I am not a mistake. You do not make mistakes, you do not make junk, Abba. Forgive me once again the “arrogance” of my low self-esteem”, those moments of fear, doubt and insecurity, when I hesitate to admit my powerlessness over some person, place, thing or situation, when I hesitate to turn and become once more your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday I make many mistakes. I sin. This is sad. This might be one of the sufferings in this life. But maybe this is the only way to practice and perfect humility

    ReplyDelete