Monday, December 1, 2014

Chapter 49: How Lent should be observed in the monastery


There can be no doubt that monastic life should always have a Lenten character about it, but there are not many today who have the strength for that. Therefore we urge that all in the monastery during these holy days of Lent should look carefully at the integrity of their lives and get rid in this holy season of any thoughtless compromises which may have crept in at other times. (From para. 1 of Ch. 49 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can replace thoughtless compromises with a thoughtful, heartfelt Yes! to whatever surprising and perhaps even painful ways grace touches my life. To do this, I need to nurture discipline and attention.

1 comment:

  1. Study can be hard work, serious work. I would much rather stick to what I know, to what is familiar, like John Main who is becoming so to me. Today’s reminder in the Rule about the importance of lectio challenges me to pick up again that volume on Franciscan theologian Duns Scotus. I know nothing about Scotus except his name which I have heard of off and on now for over fifty years but have been reluctant even to attempt. Today, however, I reread the introduction for the third time and discover that he is writing about the primacy of love and compassion, beginning with you, Abba, who are Love and Compassion. Once more, I am surprised by joy, by you.

    ReplyDelete