Thursday, December 18, 2014

Chapter 62: The priests of the monastery


When ordained a monk must be careful to avoid a spirit of self-importance or pride and he must avoid taking on himself any duties to which the abbot has not assigned him. (From para.1 of Ch. 62 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

The shadow side of having spiritual gifts is my taking pride in them and manufacturing a sense of feeling special. The beauty of the gifts comes in using them as God leads me.

2 comments:

  1. Titles and entitlements--distractions that my monkey mind, my ego, promote. I lay them and all other thoughts and images aside to focus on my mantra and I find the way to childlike simplicity and to “grand poverty” and you, Abba, loving Father/Mother God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But let the one who is ordained
    beware of self-exaltation or pride;
    and let him not presume to do anything
    except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
    (Para 2, Rule 62)

    Meditation helps me recognize when I am trying to control things. It is part of my discernment of the difference between what God wants me to do and what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete