Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraph 7)


[The abbot or abbess] should reflect on what a difficult and demanding task they have accepted, namely that of guiding souls and serving the needs of so many different characters; gentle encouragement will be needed for one, strong rebukes for another, rational persuasion for another, according to the character and intelligence of each. It is the task of the superiors to adapt with sympathetic understanding to the needs of each so that they may not only avoid any loss but even have the joy of increasing the number of good sheep in the flock committed to them. (From para. 7 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Although here St. Benedict focusses on the role of the authority, what he paints compellingly for me is a picture of salvation -- that we are each unique but we are saved together, by engaging in relationship which brings forth the Other.

1 comment:

  1. Benedict here reminds me that in my own “abboting” as father, grandfather, husband, friend and so on, I get to imitate you, Abba. You created each of us as a unique, never-to-be-duplicated, impossible to be cloned, individuals. May I always reverence that uniqueness in every one I meet. May I always relish the adventure and lesson in loving that each and every person I meet represents.

    ReplyDelete