Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chapter 2: Gifts needed by an abbot or abbess (paragraphs 8-9)


Frequent reverent reflection on that future reckoning before the Good Shepherd who has committed his sheep to them will, through their concern for others, inspire [an abbot or abbess] to greater care of their own souls. (From para. 9 of Ch. 2 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I know I became a better driver when I helped my teenagers learn to drive. I know I become more grateful for the gift of meditation when I share it with others. Benedict tells me that selfless concern for another's soul with increase my care of my own. What this means to me simply is that the spirit is both within and among us.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot expect to teach others to meditate and to do so twice per day, if I am not doing so myself. “Do as I say, not as I do” just does not cut it. The most important thing I can do each day to live the peace-full life the Rule invites me to, is to persevere with my own daily morning and evening time with you, Abba.

    ReplyDelete