Friday, January 23, 2015

Chapter 5: Monastic obedience (paragraph 4)


We should remember, however, that such obedience will be acceptable to God and rewarding to us, if we carry out the orders given us in a way that is not fearful, nor slow, nor half-hearted, nor marred by murmuring or the sort of compliance that betrays resentment. (From para. 4 of Ch. 5 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, Benedict paints another picture of obedience as radical freedom. A response stabilized in love is not dragged down nor deadened by ego. Such obedience is a pure expression of liberty of spirit.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that murmuring again . . . but I know you forgive me my begrudging, complaining heart and mouth. You praised the murmuring, belligerent son who at first refused to do what his father requested, but then thought better of it and then completed the requested task. Ultimately 90% of life is showing up for whatever it brings me today, no matter how much I may grouse about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the words, "Carry out the orders given us", my automatic response is resentment just reading those words! Examining my past, I see where my plans have had to been replaced for those of others. Remembering my reactions, I can see what affect they(my reactions) have on others and the life-changing situation. I listen to what the Lord God is saying in this morning's reading, and know in my heart that "He tells of peace for his people(for me)." Opening my heart in the daily meditation practice to the power of the silence, I open to the vision of God and to others in love and peace. There is the response I can give rather than resentment -love which brings peace-peace in my mind and heart and peace in my words and actions.

    ReplyDelete