Thursday, January 22, 2015

Chapter 5: Monastic obedience (paragraphs 1-3)


The first step on the way to humility is to obey an order without delaying for a moment. That is a response which comes easily to those who hold nothing dearer than Christ himself. (From para. 1 of Ch. 3 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this is a description of utter freedom. If I learn to say the mantra freely in my heart, listen to it resonate freely in my heart, then I learn the freedom of the true disciple. I am free to respond, free to relate, from my best Self -- and free to let others be their best selves.

2 comments:

  1. “The first step in humility is to obey…”. Again I am reminded that the word “obey” comes from the Latin “Ob-audire”, “to listen in the direction of”. The quiet of my meditation and the focusing of the mantra make it easier for me to listen, to open up my inner ear, to hear you, Abba, here, loving, Love itself, within me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a disciple I am being taught and I am a stumbling learner. Who is my teacher? It is Christ. In my encounter with Him in daily prayer and meditation, He is with me
    guiding me towards God through love. Along the way to God through Love who is Christ himself, I am learning about love of self and love of others. Can I say that I can obey another without reservation, without hesitation or delay? I throw, literally throw myself before Christ and ask for help knowing that out of His great love I do not, and cannot make this journey on my own meager resources.

    ReplyDelete