Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Chapter 7: The value of humility (paragraph 5)


One who follows that way finds protection at all times from sin and vice of thought, of tongue, of hand, of foot, of self-will and of disordered sensual desire, so as to lead a life that is completely open before the scrutiny of God and of his angels who watch over us from hour to hour. (From para. 5 of Ch. 7 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict explains to me that if I live alertly to the intimate presence of God, I find protection.  In this loving relationship with God (I can love because God loves me first) I find that I don't need to protect myself. What an incomprehensible message to my ego! So much of my energy goes into my ego's perception of what I need to say or do to look out for myself. But what Benedict is telling me about how to live under the wings of God's protection, is, paradoxically, the ultimate in being set free.

1 comment:

  1. This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!(Hamlet, Act 1, Scene3, 178-182) In and through meditation, I am learning self-acceptance and the courage to honor myself. This flows from my trust and faith in the words of the Psalmist, "Seek the Lord, and you will live...with help that never fails."(Ps.69) If I live in the truth of who I am before God Who is always with me than I cannot live falsely with others.

    ReplyDelete