Monday, January 5, 2015

Prologue to The Rule (paragraph 6)


The Lord himself in the gospel teaches us the same when he says: I shall liken anyone who hears my words and carries them out in deed to one who is wise enough to build on a rock; then the floods came and the winds blew and struck that house, but it did not fall because it was built on a rock. (From para. 6 of The Prologue to The Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

The practice of meditation is my rock, my twice-daily returning to my source, that grounds me throughout the tumult of my life. So that even when my practice seems mostly to reflect the tumult rather than the rock, somehow I recognize what is grounding me: the generative power of the sacrament of silence and stillness.

2 comments:

  1. Relationship with God does not produce an easy life or answers to all the dilemmas that come my way. I would not be able to endure the "floods" and "winds" that could drown or blow me away. But I do know in the deepest core of my being, that a relationship with the Christ Who is God which I seek through my meditation practice, is my "life-choice on which all else is built"(Caroline Myss in Where Only Love Can Go). I pray that faith and trust will help to keep me steady, and strong in this knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good News is that I am home and at rest at last, at home built on the Rock that is you, Abba. My twice-daily meditation with the mantra are my pathway to the solidity and peace that is you, here, now within me and about me.

    ReplyDelete