Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Prologue to the Rule (paragraph 8)


With all this in mind what we mean to establish is a school for the Lord's service. In the guidance we lay down to achieve this we hope to impose nothing harsh or burdensome. If, however, you find in it anything which seems rather strict, but which is demanded reasonably for the correction of vice or the preservation of love, do not let that frighten you into fleeing from the way of salvation; it is a way which is bound to seem narrow to start with. (From para. 8 of The Prologue to the Rule of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

In my experience, the mantra has been a way that seemed narrow to start with, and strict, but it proved to be demanded reasonably for the correction of egotism, and the preservation of selfless attention. Meditation is a school for the Lord's service.

2 comments:

  1. “All patterns, even the most deep-set, are impermanent. In time meditation transforms every pattern of our conditioning by restoring us to the freedom of our true nature. Though your sins be as scarlet they shall become as white as snow.” That narrow path again! You have gifted me, Abba, with this community of monks without walls that supports me. Through it you keep me on the way that heals, one day, one meditation, one simple act of kindness, one mantra at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The preservation of love" What preserves love? The main preservation ingredient for me is the twice daily meditation where, "through patience (I) share in the sufferings of Christ." This is where the real preservation occurs for me. In patience I meditate twice-daily when God does not seem to be present. In patient hope I am learning to stand firm even when life is not handing me what I want, and what I feel I deserve. Where is love? It is in moving away from self and towards the search for God through meditation and simple acts of love for others.

    ReplyDelete