Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chapter 19: Our approach to prayer


All of us, then, should reflect seriously on how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels. That will lead us to make sure that, when we sing in choir, there is complete harmony between the thoughts in our mind and the meaning of the words we sing. (From Ch. 19 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB,, 1997.)

Complete harmony -- an ever greater integration of my being in the heart. This is fullness of life, at least in this life.

2 comments:

  1. “ . . . how to appear before the majesty of God in the presence of his angels.” John Main and WCCM emphasize how “meditation creates community.” Abba, it soothes me to know that that community includes your angels, my companions and protectors. What a grace to become again your trusting little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take as my phrase for lectio from this chapter the following words, "there is complete harmony" between thoughts and words and the emphasis is placed on the word, 'is". It is the present moment that Benedict describes. It is to the present moment that I give my attention, as in full attention. John Main refers to the mantra as the "sacrament of the present moment" , because I am "learning how to pay attention steadily and continuously to the reality our (my) being in the here and now."(Silence & Stillness in Every Season, p.56) in meditation. When I pray or "sing" the Psalms I give my full attention to God Who is. The words really drop away and my attention rises to God. When I meet someone I give my full attention to the person who is and the self drops away.

    ReplyDelete