Thursday, February 26, 2015

Chapter 21: The deans of the monastery


[Deans] must be selected for their suitability in character and gifts so the abbot or abbess may, without anxiety, share some responsibilities with them. For that reason they should not be chosen simply because of their order in the community but because of their upright lives and the wisdom of their teaching. (From Ch. 21 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Benedict teaches me that discernment in delegation is an important aspect of community life. If I'm the person of responsibility in a situation, delegation may relieve me of overwork, but more importantly, it allows others to participate and grow in our mutual life. And for me, delegation may also save me from the ego-delusion of being "indispensable".

2 comments:

  1. For me the focal point is on "sharing some responsibilities". And to bring the point even into sharper focus, I can take the word, "some" for more reflection. In other words, I can tune into the "some" knowing that I have a small part to play in whatever and wherever I find myself. In doing the "some" well, that is with attention, with reverence, without defending the ego from whatever defenses I might scramble to find such as, my unworthiness, inability, age, limited energy or resources or any such ego-focused or ego-saving arguments. What it often boils down to is protecting the self and the sediment left at the bottom of the boiled pot of self-protection is pure unadulterated pride that I am too good for that "some". Christ, of the lost, forgotten,and lowliest for whom not even the smallest "some" was too small, be with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benedict today talks about authority. The etymology of the word, if I remember correctly, is from the Latin root, augere, auctus, “to make to grow or to increase”. Authority means creativity, being an “author” to any sheep entrusted to my care, like grandkids. Or, as St Asterius of Amasea says today at Matins, “Let us then be shepherds like the Lord,” focusing with love on the one who is lost or wanders.

    ReplyDelete