Saturday, March 14, 2015

Chapter 35:  Weekly servers in the kitchen and at table (paragraphs 3-4)


One hour before the time of a meal those serving in the kitchen and at table should each receive a drink and some bread in addition to their regular portion. This will help them to serve the community at mealtime without stress and without murmuring about their lot. (From para. 3 of Ch. 35 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

What are some practical ways to relieve stress in my life, so that I can be fully present in my service? How can I check my own cynical, judgmental, complaining behavior, however subtle, that harms the spirit of the community I serve?

1 comment:

  1. “To serve without murmuring”: Abba, forgive me my rebellious, murmuring heart. Help me to embrace those regular opportunities for “simple acts of kindness” that kitchen and table service provide me every day, without murmuring.

    ReplyDelete