Sunday, March 15, 2015

Chapter 36: The care of the sick in the monastery


The care of those who are sick in the community is an absolute priority, which must rank before every other requirement, so that there may be no doubt that it is Christ who is truly served in them. (From para. 1 of Ch. 36 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

It seems to me that here St. Benedict describes the kingdom of God on earth. Sometimes I may seem to be the sick or weak one, and sometimes the servant, but the gifts of the Spirit permeate all conditions.

1 comment:

  1. One of the curses of having my health is that I can easily forget about my sick and disabled brothers and sisters, Abba. Forgive me my neglect of you in the hospices, convalescent hospitals, recovery groups and the isolated disabled folks in homes all about. Help me to become proactive in loving them and you in them.

    ReplyDelete