Friday, March 20, 2015

Chapter 41: The times for community meals


The principle is that the superior should manage everything so prudently that the saving work of grace may be accomplished in the community and whatever duties the community undertakes they may be carried out without any excuse for murmuring. (From para. 1 of Ch. 41 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I'm at my desk right now, reading the Rule, writing this blog, and planning my day on a little yellow sticky note, distracted by feeling behind and by things that need to get done. Is my guiding principle truly that the saving work of grace may be accomplished among my family, friends, community? Or is distraction murmuring at me? Practicing attention will bring me into God's sphere better than fretting will.

2 comments:

  1. It is no accident that alcoholic beverages are called “spirits”. They gladden the heart as does your Spirit, Abba. That’s the choice you lovingly offer me here, now, today: artificial gladness versus real gladness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3/20/2015
    Benedict mentions “ . . . having a reasonable cause to murmur” if faced with an abbot’s disorganization and confusion about meal times. Most times I have to be my own abbot about self-care. This reminds me of the importance of simple things like occasionally thinking and looking seriously at what and how and when I eat. Caring for the temple, your temple, my physical body, then becomes a joyful task we do together, Abba. You, the Great Artist, and I together are thus making the art piece that is my physical body. What a sweet yoke!

    ReplyDelete