Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chapter 43: Late-comers for the work of God or in the refectory (paragraphs 4-5)


In the refectory all must come to table together so as to offer their grace together as one community.
(From para. 4 of Ch. 43 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Here, grace means thanksgiving, and Benedict instructs me to offer my grace together as one with others. In this way, I also understand grace to mean the way the way the Spirit is present and active in loving community.

2 comments:

  1. Procrastination, tardiness, and imperfection shine forth in today’s reading of The Rule. Benedict accepts these as inevitable, even and perhaps especially for those of us seeking you, Abba, with all our hearts. May these defects in my character daily help me to grow in childlike surrender and compassion, fidelity and patience, but above all, in openness to your ever-forgiving love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three phrases are significant for me in this reading.(1)"Nothing is to be preferred to the Work of God"; (2) "come to table together", and,(3) "offer their grace together." The first phrase is supported by the other two and the word that binds all three is "together". For me the "table" means the "table of the world", our humanity, our journey together. An important part of that journey is the offering of our grace our prayer together. The "work of God" is the praying and the meditation practice and John Main reminds me that the development and deepening of (our)my own "spiritual journey is not just a personal matter. It partakes of a responsibility for the whole human race," and" in particular to that part of humanity that (we) I encounter in (our) my daily round", those persons I sit with daily at the table.(Silence & Stillness in Every Season, March 22)

    ReplyDelete