Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Chapter 46: Faults committed elsewhere


Any member of the community who in the course of some work in the kitchen, in the stores, while fulfilling a service to others or in the bakery, the garden or the workshops or anywhere else does something wrong or happens to break or lose something or to be guilty of some other wrongdoing, must as soon as possible appear before the superior and the community with a voluntary admission of the failure and willing reparation for it. (From para. 1 of Ch. 46 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

For me, this passage poses an examination of conscience: is every task, every moment, every relationship an opportunity to work with love and gratitude?  Does my work mediate Christ's love for me, no matter how small the work seems?  Am I alert to the difference it makes to my consciousness, and to those around me?

2 comments:

  1. Several things strike me as I read this passage this morning. First, I think Benedict may be indirectly (or maybe it was directly in his time) emphasizing the need to be present and attentive in all matters, no matter how small. I know I usually break or lose stuff when I am distracted or not paying attention. Second, for me, he is emphasizing taking care in work, again no matter how small the task. Finally, he emphasizes humility in the seeking of forgiveness, even when the fault seems small. If only I could live these values out consistently in my daily life! For me, I know I cannot think my way to them (I've tried that), so I take refuge daily in God through my meditation practice, which I know leads me little by little to manifesting the values Benedict has packed in to this little paragraph on faults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Good taste is the biggest enemy of great art”, said Picasso. I like to think of any monastery or community, either with or without walls, as an organic art studio. It is where you, Abba, the Great Artist, co-creates with us the unique organic works of art which each of us individually is, as well as the unique organic work of art that is this particular, never-replicable community. “Good taste” here, to me, is synonymous with prideful, “fault-less”, perfectionism. “Bad taste” is the playful, fun attitude of a small child which, by your grace, I am hopefully learning to become.

    ReplyDelete