Sunday, April 5, 2015

Chapter 55: Clothing and footwear for the community (paragraphs 1-2)


The community must not be too sensitive about the colour and quality of this clothing; they should be content with what is available in the locality at a reasonable cost. However the superior should see to it that the garments are not short and ill-fitting but appropriate to the size and build of those who wear them. (From para. 1 of Chap. 55 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

What should be my concern with putting on garments? Certainly not a superficial individuality nor a possessiveness and accumulation. Rather, let me be simple, functional, grateful and kind in the choices I must make.  

1 comment:

  1. The Rule today reminds me how little, materially, I really need, even in this, my monastery without walls. But oh how much I can get into wanting! Abba, you have always given me what I need, as you do the lilies of the field. Keep me simple. Help me to rid myself of whatever possessions I have that complicate my life and distract me from the one thing necessary: You, in other words, Love. The mantra guides me.

    ReplyDelete