Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Chapter 56: The table for the superior and community guests


The superior's table should always be with the guests and pilgrims. (From Ch. 56 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

If I honor someone else, it could be because I hope to catch some reflected glory. Or, I can honor someone with humility, and with the deepest respect for their mystery. The more I plumb in prayer the mystery of my own existence, the more I can wonder at the mystery of another.

1 comment:

  1. After the Resurrection, He, the superior, asks them, " ' Have you anything here to eat?' They gave him a piece of baked fish; he took it and ate it in front of them."(Luke 24:41-42) The guests and the pilgrims were the apostles in this case. I am a pilgrim too, often times, "troubled", with "questions" in my heart, not believing, losing faith and there is the risen Lord showing me in the most simple way that He is with me. He constantly invites me to His table which is for me the Communion table and the meditation table. There He is giving me food, nourishing, peace-filling and something to be shared with others. May I be strengthened by the Holy Spirit to serve all...and to receive them as Christ receives me.(from the Closing Prayer after group meditation)

    ReplyDelete