Sunday, April 12, 2015

Chapter 60: The admission of priests into the monastery

If, however, he shows real perseverance in his request, he must understand that, if accepted, he will be bound to observe the full discipline of the Rule and may expect no relaxations. (From para. 1 of Ch. 60 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

Personal privilege isn't a very constructive attitude in family or community life. I need to discern carefully when I'm called to lead, and then respond in a way not imposed by the ego, but borne of true self-knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. "Real perseverance" comes from saying the mantra without expectations. I need to observe the full discipline of repeating the mantra throughout my meditation in silence. "Friend for what reasons have you come?" is the question asked. I do not answer but allow the silence to answer for me.

    ReplyDelete