Friday, April 24, 2015

Chapter 69: No one should act as advocate for another


Great care must be taken to avoid any tendency for one of the community to take the side of and try to protect another, even though they may be closely related through ties of blood. (From Ch. 69 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry, OSB, 1997.)

I can't change another person, nor should I try to protect another from the inward growth he or she needs to do. But I can respect the conditions needed for growth.

2 comments:

  1. The gut response is to protect, and shield another from mistakes that I see they are making. It is not a response born of silence. Silence is often misconstrued as passive. From the meditation practice I learn that in silence,there is patience. In silence there is growth of awareness that is larger than the immediate picture that my ego paints with its narrow views. Everyone whom I have met, and cared about is present in me. In silence, there is prayer for those I care about because Christ,all-knowing, and all-wise, prays in me,all of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Whenever I am disturbed, there is something the matter with me” goes the 12-Step spiritual axiom, echoing this rule. That includes how disturbed I can become when I judge a family member about their child-rearing practices. Too easily I can think I must mount my white horse to run to the rescue with my sage advice or censure. Lord, grant me discernment to know if and when and how to speak, or, more challengingly, to remain silent and calm with those I love. Help me here, too, to move from judgment to love and mercy.

    ReplyDelete