Friday, June 19, 2015

Chapter 16: The hours of the work of God during the day

And so at these times let us offer praise to out Creator because of his justice revealed in his judgements -- that is at Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers and Compline and in the night let us arise to praise him. (From Ch. 16 of Saint Benedict's Rule, trans. by Patrick Barry OSB, 1997.)

I love to know the small, daily details of someone's life -- what time do they get up? what is their morning routine? their spiritual practice? what is their physical and mental attitude while doing routine chores? where do they place their attention? I think this interest arises from my own deep longing for direction in the practice of making time holy. Meditation has taught me the most important method of discipline, and also of receptivity to grace permeating every aspect of now.

1 comment:

  1. Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly", says Chesterton. How well that describes the way I, at least, do my meditation and my reading of this Rule and my praying the Hours, Abba. I am reminded also that "90% of life (and love-and of loving you) is showing up". That, in fact, is the only way I know how to be an Oblate, the only way I know how to love you, Father--poorly, as your little child.

    ReplyDelete